Monday, October 27, 2008

Eschew Obfuscation in Sports Writing

In virtually all writing for public consumption, for that matter.

There are only a few things worse than trying to read the sports page or a sports-related magazine and discovering the sports writer thinks he's below quota on ten-dollar words. I want the sports. I may even want your opinion. I do not want to know the extent of your vocabulary. I think most readers are like me.

There are scholarly journals where "big words" are completely at home, but not in a column about how fans shouldn't boo Joe College after he's thrown his third interception in one game. I believe it's a fatal mistake for a writer, particularly a freelancer who doesn't have the security of a full-time position with the publication.

Just as you would take care to be grammatically correct, also know your audience and what they want or don't want.

Just one man's opinion.


Click here to watch The Conversion Blogging Video


No comments:

Post a Comment